Welcome to Room 20!
I send home parent bulletins every Friday so check those backpacks for information. The best way to reach me is through my district email since I can't talk on the phone during class-time. We also have a new Class Dojo account which is a great way to keep up to date on how your child is doing in class and you can also contact me through that account if you like.
Homework comes home nightly and there is a weekly packet due each Friday too. Homework is a part of your child's grade so whenever possible encourage completion of those assignments.
We have spelling and reading comprehension tests each Friday. Math tests are not weekly but they are frequent.
Coming up after the October break we will begin weekly book reports. Just in case I have posted the book report form here.
Here is some useful information and tips on how to help your child at home to support success in the classroom:
- Try to make sure your child doesn't miss class time unless absolutely necessary. I have a folder in class where worksheets are kept for absent students but there is no way for your child to make up for missed learning. When returning from an absence encourage your child to check their folder please.
- We use a program called RAZ Kids in class and you can also access this at home for additional Language Arts practice. Here is the link: RAZ Kids LOGIN
- First In Math is a wonderful program that all my students can and SHOULD be taking advantage of at home. Here is the link: FIM LOGIN
- Avondale also has provided all our families with access to hundreds of FREE books online through an app called Open eBooks. Your child has their own login and password which will work for many years. Email me if you need a reminder on setup and/or passwords.
- Here is a tip sheet for parents to help their children become proficient readers. Just by asking certain types of READING RESPONSE questions you will be giving your son/daughter a personal reading tutoring session at home.
- Send a snack and water bottle daily. We have a long stretch between morning recess and lunch so it is helpful for my students to have a healthy snack during the school day.