• How do I enroll?
    • Call 619-668-8366 to set up an appointment. A teacher is available to answer your questions and assess your child's needs.
    • Complete a registration form.
    • Upon approval and availability, a Master Agreement will be written between parent, student, and the H.I.S. program teacher. 
    Does the parent need a teaching credential?
    The time, commitment, and desire to teach are the only requirements of parents. The parent must also be willing to offer regular supervised instruction on a daily basis and commit to attending regularly scheduled meetings where student progress will be discussed and individual work samples collected.
    Who is eligible?
    Home Independent Study is open to all La Mesa/Spring Valley residents with children in kindergarten through eighth grade. Residents of other area districts may enroll with the consent of their district on a space available basis. Students may remain in independent study as long as the program meets their needs.
    What school credit will be given?
    A Monthly Log has been created that clearly lays out the course work requirements. Credit is granted for completion of course work. Parents are active participants in filling out progress reports three times a year.
    Who supplies the books and instructional materials? 
    The La Mesa/Spring Valley School District loans all state approved curriculum, lesson plans, course of study, and textbooks.