The start of the new school year brings the opportunity to establish new practices and routines. Beginning this year, the Human Resources Department will publish a regular newsletter highlighting the status of bargaining with both Associations. All newsletters will be distributed via email and will be posted to the District website. This first newsletter will serve to recap the bargaining actions of the past year.
Last year, the teams completed collective bargaining for a successor contract (2016 – 2019). There was hope to get the new contract ratified during the summer months, but this was not possible due to scheduling challenges during the summer months. The ratification vote will be scheduled soon.
The following is a list of some of the negotiated changes and highlights:
- The District shall provide paid maternity leave for up to six weeks or eight weeks (depending on the type of delivery) with no deduction to the employee’s sick leave account
- Recognition of ESS attendants as part of the bargaining unit starting July 1, 2017
- CASA (located at Kempton), La Mesa Arts Foundation, and Peter Pan Junior Theater added as additional charities for service fee contributions
- Language to ensure no unit member shall be discriminated against on account of CSEA membership or business
- Release time provided for at least one bargaining unit member per department, from each site, to attend CSEA chapter meetings held within the District
- 1st Aid/CPR and ServSafe trainings provided during a staff development day or during the normal workday and the District will reimburse permanent employees for the CPR class if taken outside of normal work hours
- Shift differential will be paid at current rate of pay; in the past it excluded longevity
- Hand tool stipend increased for mechanics