Regular attendance during the school years supports academic achievement and prepares students for future success in the adult workplace.
Excessive absences or tardiness will also affect the student's permanent record. (Ed. Code Sec. 48200 states that all children between the ages of 6 and 16 are subject to compulsory full-time education.) Chronic absences and/or tardies will be reported to the School Attendance Review Board for action.
Independent Study Agreement
Independent Study Agreements are available for students who are ill or are absent due to travel or family necessity for five days or more. Contact the school office prior (minimum of two days) to absence to allow teachers to prepare homework for the extended absence. The student's assignments will be placed on an Independent Study Agreement.
When a student is to be absent, please contact the School Attendance Office—follow the prompts and leave a message on the absence line.
A student returning after an absence needs to:
- Present a written excuse signed by a parent or guardian to the attendance clerk.
- Pick up an “Admit Slip” at the attendance window between 8:00–8:25 a.m. for admission to your first period class. Your teacher will not admit you to class without this form. Forgetting to appear or appearing at the attendance window after 8:25 a.m. will be considered the same as a tardy.
- If you arrive at school after the absence list has been delivered, report to the Attendance Office, where you will be given a Cancellation of Absence form by the attendance clerk.
Leaving During School Hours
- Present a signed, written request from parent or guardian to the attendance window before school.
- Obtain a Permit to Leave Grounds form to leave school.
- A parent or guardian must come into the front office and present a photo ID to sign the release for a student. The person picking up the student from school grounds must be on the registration form or the emergency data form.
- Please note it may take as long as 15–20 minutes from the time you enter the office to retrieve your student from his/her class.
Absences & Activities
Students who are absent on the day of a school activity may not participate in any after-school activity that day.
All students are expected to be in their seats in the classroom, with the necessary instructional materials, prepared to work, exactly on time. This gives all students in the class an opportunity to take full advantage of the learning time provided.
Tardies disrupt the teaching/learning process. Please note:
- If the student reports to school later than 8:30 a.m., he/she should report to the attendance office for a permit to enter class.
- If the student is tardy from passing time between classes, he/she is to report directly to the teacher of the class.
- If a staff member has been responsible for tardiness, the student must obtain an excused pass from that staff member.
- A student is tardy if he/she is not in his/her seat and ready to work when the bell rings.
- P.E. classes are expected to be on their numbers at the tardy bell.
Consequences for Tardiness
Tardiness is an undesirable habit which will lead to academic as well as disciplinary problems. Tardies will result in detention; excessive tardies will result in Friday Night School or Loss of Privilege List. Further tardiness may result in additional suspension and/or referral to the School Attendance Review Team (SART). Under the provisions of the California State Education Code:
“Any child absent or tardy in excess of 30 minutes without a valid excuse on three or more days may be reported truant. If reported truant and again absent one or more days, the child may be reported truant a second time. He/She is deemed a habitual truant if reported three or more times.”
Under provisions of the California State Education Code:
“Any pupil subject to compulsory full-time education or to compulsory continuation education who is absent from school without valid excuse more than three days or tardy in excess of 30 minutes on each of more than three days in one school year is a truant...”
- When a student is truant, Saturday School may be assigned for the lost time. Truant students are also placed on the Loss of Privilege List, and their parents are always notified. A parent conference may be scheduled.
- The habitual truant may be referred to the District School Attendance Review Team for a hearing, which may result in referral to the juvenile court system.
Homework During Absences
After being absent three days or more because of illness, parents may request homework assignments from the school office. We require a twenty-four hour notice before coming to pick up such homework.