Spring Valley Academy is proud of its students and their accomplishments. Student appearance and dress should be a reflection of a serious learning environment. Appropriate dress and good grooming contribute to a positive atmosphere and promote student safety.
In accordance with the Calif. Education Code, Section 48907, and with the best interests of our students, school, and school- sponsored activities, and community in mind, the following dress code has been adopted. We appreciate your support and adherence to these guidelines.
- Clothing must be worn as designated, not modified. It should be clean and in good repair. Pants with shreds, tears or holes even when wearing leggings underneath, are prohibited. Jeans purchased with holes/tears are still prohibited.
- Loose fitting garments that show underclothing (underwear/bras) or expose private parts of the body are a distraction and are prohibited.
- Backless, stapless, spaghetti straps, low-cut neckline, tank tops, see-through, and bare-midriff tops are considered inappropriate for school and are not permitted. All shirts, skirts, long tops must pass the fingertip test. Leggings may only be worn with clothing that passes the finger-tip test. All shirts must have sleeves.
- Shorts and skirts must be no shorter than mid-thigh length and must pass the finger-tip test. Bicycle shorts and leggings must be worn with a top that covers mid-thigh and passes the finger-tip test.
- Pants are to be worn at waist level. Belts are to be worn through the loops. Wallet or other similar chains are not allowed.
- Shoes, sneakers, or other appropriate footwear must be worn at all times. Height of shoes must be appropriate for school.
- Clothing and/or jewelry with inappropriate language, pictures, inferences, or other symbols judged by an administrator to be obscene; intended to mock, ridicule, provoke, demean; or displaying words or pictures associated with alcoholic beverages, tobacco products, or other drugs, or items associated with alcohol, tobacco, or other drug use, are not allowed.
- Make-up and hair styles-including hair color-should be appropriate to age, and not bring undue attention to the individual.
- Headgear including hoods, bandanas, hats, and sweat bands may not be worn at school. Headgear will be confiscated and released only to a parent. Appropriate hats may be worn in PE as protection from the sun or rain
- Gang-related signs, insignias, colors, or distinctive modes of dress are not permitted.
- If a student violates the dress code, parent/guardian may be notified. Student will be required to change the attire; alternative clothing may be provided. Loaner clothing must be laundered and returned the following day. Student will be placed on the Loss of Privilege list until the borrowed clean clothing is returned.
Promotion is an opportunity for students to dress up. The basic consideration for student's dress should be neatness and appropriateness, and all dress code rules apply. The purchase of new clothes is not necessary. Formal gowns, tuxedos, spaghetti straps, and strapless dresses are not allowed. Limousines are not appropriate for middle school promotional ceremonies.