Classroom Visits will help you understand what your children’s days are like “at work.” You’re always welcome to sit and watch them learn and interact with classmates and adults. If you’d like, your children’s teachers may appreciate your help with clerical tasks (copying, cutting, sorting) or working with a small group of children. Don’t be shy—we’ll show you how.
Parent Groups help us make important decisions regarding our policies, programs, and learning environment. You’re always welcome to join or just attend the meetings that are convenient. Check the website or notices for dates and times.
- PTA (Parent-Teacher Association) – These dedicated Avondale parents and staff members meet once a month to plan fun school events and to raise funds for our students’ study trips and a variety of other purposes.
- SSC (School Site Council) – Parents and staff members review information on Avondale students’ achievement, school budgets, safety, and programs – always with the goal of making our great school even better! All are welcome to attend monthly meetings and provide input. Voting members are elected each fall.
- ELAC (English Learners Advisory Council) – Our ELAC serves as a connection to the families of our English Learners and advises the SSC regarding their needs. Four meetings each year are held on Fridays at 8:30 a.m.
District Committees give you opportunities to learn about policies and programs at the district level, and to provide input for important decisions. District committees meet at the Education Center Board Room, 4750 Date Street, La Mesa.
- District Advisory Council (DAC) – Parent representatives meet with Superintendent Brian Marshall to discuss parents’ perspectives on programs and policies. See District website for dates, agendas, and minutes.
- District English Learners’ Advisory Council – Parents and other interested community members discuss programs and policies affecting students who are learning English.